Site Transfer Made Easy
March 4, 2020
Site transfer can mean to be a Problem sometimes When I was starting my web design career, I started out as a babyScript (process explained here). I mimicked everything other people did and this became hard for me as people would work whether I am with them or not. Things like Domain Transfer were not important at this stage. I then ventured out in doing my own learning and then start web development as a career. I had challenges with hosting providers since all promise heaven and earth yet some actually don’t even have what it takes.
Thanks to Mukalele Rogers @mrogers4christ and Stephen Dumba through Ezone web services for the free hosing plans (which can be acquired here) that helped me to test the waters before I actually dive in. After finding a web host – Ezone, web-development started becoming fun.
After designing your hosted site time comes and you really have to host to your purchased domain. Domain Transfer is the process by which you “move” your site from one domain to another. This is one of the most scaring process. As you transfer your domain the worry to crush your site comes in. How do you handle that???
Domain transfer has been a challenge for several developers using several content management Systems and different languages. During the Design of the Cursor Technologies site, I really tried a great lot of things, I am not boasting though. I have tried several FTP clients including Filezilla, Cyber Duck, Smart FTP, among others. These can also do the Job but they are so hectic but the fear to crush your designed site also doesn’t let you have peace. How then can you transfer your site in peace???
Domain Transfer made easy
Site transfer has been made easy with Migrate Guru. Migrate GURU helps you transfer your site easily all you have to do is, install the plugin, enter your hosting details and click migrate. Let’s get the hands on feel.
Step 1 – Install Migrate Guru
To add Migrate Guru WordPress Plugin.
- Go to Plugins
- Click on Add New.
- Type in the name of the WordPress Plugin, Migrate Guru
- Click on the Install button when you find Migrate Guru.
- The resulting installation screen will list the installation as successful or note any problems during the installation.
- If successful, click Activate Plugin.
Step 2 – Enter Admin Email
Enter your email address to receive notifications and details of your site migration.
Step 3 – Select the web host you are transferring your website to.
For my case it’s usually cPanel, I always prefer hosts with a cPanel but for your case it will be different and Migrate Guru has been pre-coded with settings for most hosts.
Step 4 – Fill in the form
Migrate Guru plugin will give you a small form to fill up. The fields on this form are:
- Destination Site URL: This is the URL of the site (domain) you would have set up on your new web host.
- Destination Server IP address: This is the server IP address of the site configured on your web host account, Usually clear on your Cpanel Right hand Side
- Advanced Options: Click on this option ONLY if either the site being moved or the destination site are https:/ instead of https:// because the rest is set up for you.
If you do not know these details you can find them out easily:
- Log in to your web host account and go to the menu bar displayed at the top of the page.
- Click on Hosting and choose cPanel.
- The destination server IP address is on the right-hand side bar of the cPanel page.
- For the cPanel username, access the email your web host would have sent you when you first signed up for an account. This is also the username you use to login to your cPanel
The cPanel password is usually set when signing up for web host service because It is the same password you use to login to your regular web host or cPanel
If the URLs of either one begin with ‘https://’, they are HTTP authenticated. If your web host domain’s URL is protected with HTTP authentication, you would have received an email with the validation credentials. These credentials can also be retrieved from the site’s server logs.
Now that you have all the required details, enter them in the Migrate Guru form. If you have any more doubts there is a Support group, and Help section over to the right.
Step 5 – Click On Migrate.
You Have Finished All The Steps Required To Migrate Your Website Successfully. All you have to do is sit and watch as it Migrates, Duration and speed depends on the size and complexity of the site
If you would prefer a video guide as you work. You can get one here